30 Mar 2019
Lights Out for Earth Hour
As we go about our daily lives, it’s easy to forget that we depend on nature for every single thing. From the very air we breathe, to the food we love, and the water we drink, we simply cannot survive without nature and all it provides. However, its growing loss puts this all under threat.
The English Riviera UNESCO Global Geopark team invite everyone, to get involved in Earth Hour on Saturday 30 March from 8.30pm to 9.30pm. Starting as a symbolic lights out event in Sydney in 2007, WWF’s Earth Hour has grown to become the world’s largest grassroots movement for the environment.
Getting involved is easy, simply turn off all or non-essential lights in your home for the hour. You’ll be joining hundreds of millions of supporters and global networks all who are putting the spotlight on climate change.
But that’s not it, you can make a commitment to a continual change throughout the year that reduces your impact on the environment by;
* Ensuring lights and appliances are switched off at the end of the day, both at home and in the workplace
* Installing energy saving lightbulbs and devices (e.g. timers on lighting)
* Go paperless or reduce unnecessary paper usage as much as possible
* Recycling more and composting food waste
* Ditch the car and walk or cycle to work one day a week
* Reducing your use of single use plastic
These are just a few ideas, we’d love for you to share with us what you pledge to do for Earth Hour and beyond. If you are on social media post a photo tag @EarthHour and @RivieraGeopark and use the hashtags #Connect2Earth and #EnglishRivieraGeopark.
For more information visit here
Back to the Events page